Slips and falls may sound like minor inconveniences, but they can actually lead to severe injuries. Victims could be left with mounting medical bills, lost wages, or even permanent disability. Fortunately, compensation may be available.
If you or your loved one slipped, tripped, or fell, consider contacting an experienced Trinity slip and fall accident lawyer. A skilled personal injury attorney could analyze the evidence to determine if another party acted negligently and hold them accountable for your losses.
Premises Liability Principles
Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability injury. In these situations, the owner of the property on which the accident took place may be liable if their actions were responsible for causing the slip and fall or the conditions that made it possible.
Property owners who invite others onto their premises to conduct business, visit, or engage in recreation have a duty to make sure the environment is reasonably safe for visitors. However, the property owner may not be held liable for guests using the premises in an unexpected or unforeseen manner.
Common Slip and Fall Scenarios
Slip and fall accidents can occur in a number of different scenarios, including:
- Slipping in retail stores, such as groceries or drug stores
- Falling in parking lots, due to potholes or broken sidewalks
- Slipping on wet floors at pools, water parks, or other recreation facilities
- Tripping on unsecured flooring or broken stairs
- Falling from ladders or stepstools
Factors Considered by the Courts
When determining whether a premises owner is liable for a slip and fall injury, courts typically consider a few different factors, such as whether the property owner:
- Knew or should have known about the hazard but failed to remedy the danger
- Took precautions to regularly inspect the property, such as having management regularly patrol aisles of the grocery store looking for spills
- Warned people about the potential hazard while it was in the process being repaired, such as putting up a wet floor sign while mopped floors dry
The damages stemming from a slip and fall accident can be extensive, but victims may be able to recover compensation for all of their economic and noneconomic losses. Economic damages cover easily quantifiable losses, such as medical bills, lost wages, and rehabilitation expenses.
Noneconomic damages are harder to quantify but can still be compensated. These can include a loss of enjoyment in life, the inability to pursue your hobbies and goals, and pain and suffering. An experienced Trinity slip and fall accident attorney could help you understand what type of damages you may be eligible to receive based on the specific circumstances of your case.
Consult with an Experienced Trinity Slip and Fall Attorney
However, your accident occurred, an experienced Trinity slip and fall accident lawyer could help evaluate your case and determine if you have a valid claim. If so, they could help you hold the responsible party accountable for their behavior and fight for the compensation you deserve. Reach out to an attorney today to set up a consultation.