Call Now Open 24/7

personal injury lawyers in chicago

Common Questions For Illinois Workers’ Compensation


Who pays for Workers’ Compensation?

Workers Compensation is paid for by either the employer or the state.  Employers pay a premium for Workers Compensation Insurance to either a state-run insurance program or an insurance company.

What type of injuries are covered?

Workers’ compensation coverage is designed to cover employees who sustain work related injuries.  The work related injury may not have to be caused by a single incident.  For example, repetitive stress injuries or an illness that results because of continued exposure to certain chemicals in the work environment may trigger a workers’ compensation claim.

What is the difference between temporary and permanent disability benefits?

Filing a workers’ compensation claim means that the employee cannot perform their job.  The different types of disabilities are:

  • Temporary Partial Disability- The employee is still healing and maybe working light duty, earning less than they would pre-injury.
  • Temporary Total Disability- A worker cannot return to work at all for a short period of time and their employer is unable to give light duty.
  • Permanent Partial Disability- A worker has been permanently injured at work and cannot perform the same duties he or she was able to before the injury.
  • Permanent Total Disability- An employees injuries renders them permanently unable to perform any kind of work.

What are the rights and responsibilities of the employer? 

Most employers in Chicago are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If they fail to do so, they may face criminal penalties and be held personally liable in a civil lawsuit if a workplace injury occurs.

While employers have the responsibility to carry this insurance, they also have the right to determine which healthcare provider injured workers must see after their accident. To make sure your claim goes smoothly, a Chicago workplace accident attorney may advise, as seeing an unapproved healthcare provider could void any claim an injured worker has.

How do I file a claim?

Injured employees should seek medical help and report injuries to the employer immediately.  Employers may have a special form for you to fill out.  You may only have a limited amount of time to file your claim, otherwise, you may lose your opportunity to file.  It is important to keep records of your injuries, including doctors you have seen. These cases are very complex, and every step of the process needs to be done correctly in order to ensure a positive resolution.  A Chicago workers’ compensation lawyer can help throughout the entire claims process, so you can improve your chances of getting the benefits you need.

With over $1 Billion in recoveries for our clients, Larry knows how to win!  Plus, there is no fee unless we win your case. Contact our Chicago Workers’ Compensation attorneys today and find out why thousands of our clients say “Larry Wins!”  Call now (312) 600-6000.




Read More

Follow Us


workers compensation attorneys in dc

The Disparti Law Group Accident & Injury Lawyers is one of the most successful law firms serving the greater Chicago and Tampa areas. As the leader in Injury, Disability, Workers’ Comp, and Employment Law, with more than $1 Billion in recoveries, The Disparti Law Group Accident & Injury Lawyers has been named One of the Most Influential Law Firms in America by Trial Lawyer Magazine.

Practice Areas


    Recent Posts


    Was a great fit for me and would definitely recommend to family and friends!

     – Christine

    It has been a wonderful experience working with Disparti Law Group Accident & Injury Lawyers. They are highly recommended.


    I feel you guys did a great job in handling my case.

    V. Gentry

    Very professional staff, great experience.


    Why Choose Us





      1041 U.S. Highway 19
      Holiday, FL 34691


      121 W Wacker Drive, Suite 2300
      Chicago, IL 60601