If you were disabled and unable to work for a period of time but did not apply for Social Security Disability benefits, you may think it is too late to do something now.

But you could be wrong. According to the Social Security Administration, you may still get benefits for a previous period of disability, or what is known as a closed period of disability.

This is determined when medical evidence proves you were unable to work for at least a period of 12 months, but by the time the disability decision was made, your health improved.

To be entitled to a closed period of disability, you must also meet these requirements:

  • You must have filed an application within 14 months after the disability ended; or
  • You must have filed an application between 15 and 36 months after the disability ended, and you must show that your failure or inability to file a timely application was due to your physical or mental incapability. You may be entitled to a period of disability but not to monthly disability benefit payments. A closed period of disability helps protect your insured status and increases potential future retirement or disability benefits.

If you meet these criteria, you can receive up to 12 months of retroactive benefits from the date of your application.

Let a Disability Attorney in Florida Help You

Figuring out dates and obtaining old information and documents can be frustrating and confusing. If you feel you are entitled to Social Security Disability benefits and live in Florida, you need to talk to legal professionals who can assist you.

The Florida Social Security Disability attorneys with Disparti Law Group, P.A., can help you file a claim for a previous period of time in which you were disabled.

Let our Florida disabilities benefits lawyers prepare your case. We have been fighting to get people the benefits they deserve for more than 30 years.

Your time to receive benefits may be running out, so don’t delay. Call us today for a free case evaluation at 866-806-2193. You can also get in touch with us through our online contact form.